Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Conquering the Sun's Empire (1963) part 2


This is the second part of my posting about this book. For part 1 see here:
http://dreamsofspace.blogspot.com/2012/06/conquering-suns-empire-1963-part-1.html

Ordway, Frederick I and Wakeford, Ronald C. Illustrated by Lange, Harry H-K. Conquering the Sun’s Empire. New York : E.P. Dutton and Co. 128 pp. 23 cm. Cloth, DJ.


Mars from one of its moons


 Inside the Mars colony

 One use for the asteroid belt is to help with the interplanetary distances.

 I love all the hardware in the next few illustrations.  Rarely do we see how different planets might be used or explored.


 Everyone goes to Titan, go someplace new this summer: Callisto!
 I am not sure about manned expeditions exploring inside Saturn's rings. Above or below maybe, but not in them.


 When was the last time you saw a ship exploring Uranus? (ha ha He said Uranus)




The whole book has some great inspirational images. There was a similar book by the same author/artist pair called: "Life in other solar systems". Not as many interesting illustrations but still worth seeking out.

I was asked if this book is available. I am a big fan of the used book site bookfinder.com (http://www.bookfinder.com/). I see several copies available.

3 comments:

  1. The futuristic Martian base in interesting. I like that there are trees in there. It even looks as if there is a figure mowing the lawn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your great posts. I just came across the site this morning through http://walt.radiomensa.net/ ... as I posted on Facebook a few moments ago, the site really shows the awe and wonder that many of us who grew up in the 50s -- or even at other times -- feel about space travel. Agai, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pulled my copy from my home library shelf. A delightful book that continues to inspire the imagination. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete